Faculty Bio - Eunha Shim, PhD
Assistant Professor of Epidemiology
Department of Epidemiology
704A Parran Hall
130 Desoto Street
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
Voice: (412) 383-8085
- Associate Research Scientist, 2009-2010, School of Medicine, Yale University
- Postdoctoral Associate, 2007-2009, School of Medicine, Yale University
- Ph.D. in Mathematics and Statistics, Arizona State University, May 2007
- M.Sc. in Mathematics, University of British Columbia, May 2004
- B.Sc. in Mathematics, University of British Columbia, May 2002
- Shim E. Childhood immunization refusal: the return of vaccine-preventable diseases. Journal of Vaccines & Vaccination (In press)
- Atkins KE, Shim E, Carroll S, Quilici S, Galvani AP. (2012) The Cost-Effectiveness of Pentavalent Rotavirus Vaccination in England and Wales. Vaccine. 30(48), 6766-76.
- Shim E, Grefenstette JJ, Albert SM, Cakouros BE, Bohn L, Burke DS. Impact of vaccine behavior on the resurgence of measles. In: Modeling the Interplay between Human Behavior and Spread of Infectious Diseases. Manfredi P and d'Onofrio A (Eds). Springer. (In press)
- Porco TC, Gao D, Scott JC, Shim E, Enanoria WT, Galvani AP, Lietman TM. (2012) When does overuse of antibiotics become a tragedy of the commons? PLoS ONE. 7(12): e46505
- Shim E, Galvani AP. (2012) Distinguishing vaccine efficacy and effectiveness. Vaccine. 30(47), 6700-5.
- Pitzer VE, Atkins KE, de Blasio BF, Van Effelterre T, Atchison CJ, Harris JP, Shim E, Galvani AP, Edmunds WJ, Viboud C, Patel MM, Grenfell BT, Parashar UD, Lopman BA. (2012) Direct and indirect effects of rotavirus vaccination: Comparing predictions from transmission dynamic models. PLoS ONE. 7(8): e42320.
- Shim E, Feng Z, Castillo-Chavez C. (2012) Interplay of malaria transmission and the evolution of sickle-cell traits. Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering. 9(4), 877-98.
- Shim E, Chapman GB, Townsend JP, Galvani AP. (2012) The influence of altruism on influenza vaccination decisions. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. 9 (74), 2234-2243.
- Atkins KE, Shim E, Pitzer VE, Galvani AP. (2012) Impact of rotavirus vaccination on epidemiological dynamics in England and Wales. Vaccine. 30(3), 552-64.
- Shim E, Grefenstette JJ, Albert SM, Cakouros BE, Burke DS. (2012) A game dynamic model for vaccine skeptics and vaccine believers: measles as an example. Journal of Theoretical Biology. 295, 194-203.
- Shim E, Meyers LA, Galvani AP. (2011) Optimal H1N1 vaccination strategies based on self- interest versus group interest. BMC Public Health. 11, Suppl 1: S4.
- Shim E. (2011) Prioritization of delayed vaccination for pandemic influenza with a limited supply of vaccine. Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering. 8(1), 95-112.
- Cornforth DM, Reluga TC, Shim E, Bauch CT, Galvani AP, Meyers LA. (2011) Erratic flu vaccination emerges from short-sighted behaviour in contact networks. PLoS Computational Biology. 7(1), e1001062.
- Shim E, Chapman GB, Galvani AP. (2010) Decision making with regard to antiviral interven- tion during an influenza pandemic. Medical Decision Making. 30(4), E64-81.
- Shim E, Hampson K, Cleaveland S, Galvani AP. (2009) Evaluating the cost-effectiveness of rabies post-exposure prophylaxis: a case study in Tanzania. Vaccine. 27(51), 7167-72.
- Shim E, Kochin B, Galvani AP. (2009) Insights from epidemiological game theory into gender-specific vaccination against rubella. Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering. 6(4), 839-854.
- Shim E, Galvani AP. (2009) Impact of transmission dynamics on the cost-effectiveness of rotavirus vaccination. Vaccine. 27(30), 4025-30.
- Shim E, Castillo-Chavez C. (2009) The epidemiological impact of rotavirus vaccination programs in the United States and Mexico. Chapter 12, pp 303-324. In: Mathematical and Statistical Estimation Approaches in Epidemiology. Chowell G, Hyman JM, Bettencourt LMA, and Castillo-Chavez C (Eds.) Springer.
- Shim E, Galvani AP. (2009) Evolutionary repercussions of avian culling on host resistance and influenza virulence. PLoS ONE. 4(5), e5503.
- Shim E, Feng Z, Martcheva M, Castillo-Chavez C. (2006) An age-structured epidemic model of rotavirus with vaccination. Journal of Mathematical Biology. 53(4), 719-46.
- Shim E. (2006) A note on epidemic models with infective immigrants and vaccination. Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering. 3(3), 557-566.
- Chowell G, Shim E, Brauer F, Diaz-Dueñas P, Hyman JM, Castillo-Chavez C. (2006) Modeling the transmission dynamics of Acute Hemorrhagic Conjunctivitis: Application to the 2003 Outbreak in Mexico. Statistics in Medicine. 25(11), 1840-1857.
- Shim E, Banks HT, Castillo-Chavez C. (2006) Seasonal pattern of rotavirus infection with its vaccination. pp. 327-348 In: Modeling The Dynamics of Human Diseases: Emerging Paradigms and Challenges. AMS Contemporary Mathematics Series Vol. 410. Gumel A, Castillo-Chavez C, Clemence DP and Mickens RE (Eds).
- Invited talk at Department of Computational Science and Engineering, Yonsei University, South Korea, Nov 7, 2012
- Invited talk at Department of Mathematics, Sung Kyun Kwan University (SKKU), South Korea, Nov 7, 2012
- Invited talk at Department of Mathematics, Seoul National University, South Korea, Nov 1, 2012
- Invited talk at Department of Mathematics, Yonsei University, South Korea, Oct 29, 2012
- Invited talk at Department of Mathematics, East Tennessee State University, Apr 20, 2012
- Invited talk at International Council for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ICIAM), Jul 22, 2011
- Invited talk at Modeling of Infectious Diseases Agent Study (MIDAS) Scientific Discussions, Jun 8, 2011
- Invited talk at MCMSC Conference, Arizona State University, May 12, 2011: "Modeling the impact of misperceptions of vaccine and infection risks on vaccination decisions: an example of a measles epidemic."
- MIDAS (Models of Infectious Disease Agent Study) Network Meeting, Chicago, IL, Oct 29, 2009: "Behavioral models applied to influenza A (H1N1)"
- Invited talk at the International Conference on Mathematical Biology and Annual Meeting of the Society for Mathematical Biology, Vancouver, BC, Canada July 27, 2009
- Invited talk at the SIAM annual meeting, Denver, CO July 10, 2009
- Invited talk at the Mitigating the Spread of A/H1N1 Flu: Lessons Learned from Past Outbreaks, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ June 26, 2009
- New England Biosciences Society 17th Annual Meeting, Harvard University May 2, 2009.
- Invited talk at the Mathbio Seminar, Purdue University Jan 30, 2009.
- Invited talk at the SIAM annual meeting, Montreal, QB, Canada Aug 5, 2008.
- Invited talk at the BIRS workshop on modeling the impact of policy options during public health crisis, Banff, AB, Canada July 31, 2008.
- Biomath Days, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada. (Voted as the best talk contributed by students and postdocs) Mar 29, 2008.
- Invited talk at the Using Modeling to Inform Public Health (UMPH) Seminar, School of Medicine, Yale University Nov 7, 2007.
- Invited talk at DIMACS Workshop on Game Theoretic Approaches to Epidemiology and Ecology, Rutgers University, Oct 15, 2007: "Antiviral intervention during pandemic influenza: the prophylaxis and treatment coverage levels driven by individual and societal interest".
- Invited talk at Merck, Philadelphia, PA, Sep 21, 2006 : "Potential impact of rotavirus vaccine under various scenarios: with consideration of seasonality of infection rates, maternal antibodies and different types of vaccine schedules"
- "Age-structured model of rotavirus with three-dose vaccine schedule: can we predict the potential impact of new vaccine?": Math biology seminar, Department of Mathematics, Arizona State University, Sep 1, 2006.
- "A model for high gain in signal transduction in bacterial chemotaxis: mixed receptor type": at Center for Mathematical Biology, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK, Aug 9, 2006.
- Invited talk at the Workshop on Mathematical Models in Biology and Medicine, at Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, Feb 2006: "A model for rotavirus infection and its seasonality"
- "Mathematical model of rotavirus infection and its new vaccine: optimal vaccine strategy and policy decision": JSRC-Snowbird Conference on Modeling Dynamics of Human Diseases: Emerging Paradigms and Challenges, in Snowbird, Utah, Jul 2005.
- "Control strategies in cholera outbreak in South Africa, 2000-2001 with model selections": Institute for Advanced Study. Park City Mathematics Institute Summer School on Mathematical Biology, in Park City, Utah, Jul 2005.
- "An epidemic model with infective immigrants and vaccination": University of British Columbia in Canada, Sep 2003.
- Ph.D. thesis entitled "Mathematical Models of Rotavirus Transmission in the Presence of Maternal Antibodies and Vaccination".
- Master's thesis entitled "An Epidemic Model with Immigration of Infectives and Vaccination".