Faculty Bio - Devra L. Davis, PhD, MPH
Department of Epidemiology
Graduate School of Public Health
University of Pittsburgh
Environmental Health Trust
Environmental oncology, cancer epidemiology, breast cancer prevention, chemo-prevention, air pollution epidemiology, climate policy, ethics and public policy
Education & Training
- 1967 University of Pittsburgh B.S. (cum laude) Physiological Psychology
- 1967 University of Pittsburgh M.A. Sociology of Science
- 1972 University of Chicago Ph.D. History of Culture/Science Studies
- 1982 Johns Hopkins University M.P.H. Epidemiology School of Public Health
Books and Journals Edited
- Davis DL. When Smoke Ran Like Water. Basic Books, 2002.
(Italian Edition) Quando Il Fumo Scorreva Come L’Acqua, 2004. Also translated into Korean (2003), Japanese (2004), and Mandarin (2007)
- Davis DL. The Secret History of the War on Cancer. Basic Books, 2007.
(Italian Edition) La storia segreta della Guerra al cancro, 2007.
- Davis DL, Ritts LS, and Wolf V, Eds. Toxic Substances and Hazardous Wastes. Washington, D.C.: American Law Institute, American Bar Association. 1980, 459 pp.
- Davis DL, Trauberman J, et al., editors. Six Case Studies of Compensation for Toxic Substances Pollution: Alabama, California, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, and Texas. Prepared for the United States Congressional Research Service. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office for the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works. 1980, 521 pp.
- Ng LKY and Davis DL, Eds. Strategies for Public Health: Promoting Health and Preventing Disease. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold. 1981, 416 pp.
- Davis DL and Gusman S, Eds. Exposure Assessment: an Introduction.?? Two Special Issues: Toxic Substances Journal 1982 Summer;4(1), 76 pp and Autumn;4(2),170 pp.
- Davis DL and Hoel D, Eds. Trends in Cancer in Industrial Countries, ??Annals of the New York Academy of Science; 609. 1990, 345 pp.
- Davis DL and Samet J (Eds. Anon.). Multiple Chemical Hypersensitivity. Addendum to Biologic Markers in Immunotoxicology. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press, 202 pp.
- Davis DL (Ed. Anon.). Volume I: Environmental Epidemiology: Public Health and Hazardous Wastes. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press. 1991, 282 pp.
- Davis DL, Ed.. Breast Cancer: Hormones, Hormone Metabolism, Environment, and Breast Cancer. Environ Health Perspect. 1997 April; 105 (Suppl 3).
- Davis DL, Krupnick A, and McGlynn G, Eds. Proceedings of the Workshop on Estimating the Ancillary Benefits and Costs of Greenhouse Gas Mitigation Policies, March 27-29, 2000. OECD. 2000, November.
- Davis DL. 1975. Density, Crowding and Stress: a Theoretical Model and an Unobtrusive Measure, pp. 105-116 in Systems Thinking and the Quality of Life, (C.K. Blong, ed.), Washington, D.C.: Society for General Systems Research.
- Davis DL. 1978. The Social Experience of Neighborhood Density and Apartment Density in Queens, New York City, Community and Privacy (Aristide H. Esser, ed.), New York: Plenum Press.
- Davis DL. 1979. Multiple Risk Assessments. FDA Symposium on Risk/benefit Decisions in the Public Health, J. Staffa (ed.) Washington, D.C.
- Babich H, Adler R and Davis DL. 1980. Basic Science-forcing Laws and Regulatory Case Studies: Kepone, DBCP, Halothane, Hexane, and Carbaryl, with Harvey Babich, Reid Adler, and Stuart Dunwoody. Washington, D.C.: Environmental Law Institute, 253 pp.
- Davis DL, Jamieson A, Dunwoody S, and Hedal L. 1980. Cost-benefit Analysis and Environmental Health and Safety Regulation: an Overview of the Agencies and Legislation, Reprinted in The Analysis of Costs and Benefits in Environmental Regulation, Prepared by the Conservation Foundation and the Illinois Institute of Natural Resources, Chicago, Illinois.
- Ng LKY, Davis DL, Manderscheid R, and Elkes J. 1981. Toward a Conceptual Formulation of Health and Well-being in Strategies for Public Health, 129-157.
- Davis DL and Ng LKY. 1981. National Policy Issues for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Introduction in Strategies for Public Health, 1-32, 1981.
- Davis DL and Rall DP. Risk Assessment for Disease Prevention in Strategies for Public Health, 129-157.
- Davis DL and Babich H. 1981. Chemical Control and Prevention in Umweltschutz Der Achziger Jahre, H. Karpe (ed.). Dortmund Infu.
- Davis DL and Mandula B. Is Silica the Next Asbestos? A Study in Contrasts. Silica, Silicosis and Cancer: Controversy in Occupational Medicine, Cancer Research Monographs, Vol. 2, David F. Goldsmith, Deborah M. Winn, and Carl M. Shy (eds.). New York, NY; Praeger, 1986.
- Davis DL. 1987 August. Changing Policy Roles of Environmental Sciences, Presented at the Sino-American Conference on Environmental Law, Beijing, People's Republic of China; Proceedings Published by University of Colorado, School of Law.
- Davis DL, Miller V, and Reisa JJ. 1988. Potential Public Health Consequences of Global Climate Change, Preparing for Climate Change, Proceedings of the First North American Conference on Preparing for Climate Change: a Cooperative Approach, Washington, D.C., Government Institutes, pp. 366-376.
- Gann PH, Davis DL, and Perera F. 1991. Biologic Markers in Environmental Epidemiology: Constraints and Opportunities, pp. 267-285 in Methods for Assessing Exposure of Human and Non-human Biota, R.G Tardiff and B. Goldstein (eds). Scope, John Wiley & Sons.
- Samet J, and Davis DL. 1992. Overview of Multiple Chemical Hypersensitivity in National Research Council, Workshop on Multiple Chemical Hypersensitivity, Washington, D.C., National Academy of Sciences Press.
- Davis DL and Babich H. 1993. Natural Anticarcinogens and the Theory of Tumor Demotion. Handbook of Hazardous Wastes. 463-474. Morton Corn (Ed). Academic Press.
- Davis DL. 1993. Why We Test Animals in Biology: the Web of Life. Daniel D.Chiras (ed.), West Educational Publishing Company.
- Davis DL and Rall DP. 1994. Occupational Cancer in Textbook of Clinical Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Rosenstock L, and Cullen M (eds), W.B. Saunders Co.
- Davis DL. 1994. Chemical Contamination of Food and Water.Textbook of Clinical Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Rosenstock L and Cullen M (eds), W.B. Saunders Co.
- Davis DL and Poore LM. Policy Issues in Environmental Epidemiology: Making the Connection Between Exposure and Human Disease in Johnson, B [Ed.] International Conference on Health Effects of Hazardous Wastes.
- Wu C, Gottlieb M, and Davis DL. 1998. China’s Health and the Environment. World Resources Report. Oxford University Press.
- Davis DL. 1998. Breast Cancer and the Environment. World Resources Report. Oxford University Press.
- Plant JA and Davis DL. Breast and Prostate Cancer: Sources and Pathways of Endocrine-disrupting chemcials in Skinner CW and Berger AR [Eds.], Geology and Health: Closing the Gap. New York: Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Egginton J, Davis DL, and Donovan M. 2009. The Poisoning of Michigan. Afterword. East Lansing: Michigan State University Press.
- Davis DL. The woman in the moon: Prolegomenon for women's studies. Female Studies. 1972; 5: 120-42.
- Davis DL. Watergate: Government by negation. Theory and Society. 1974; 1: 111-16.
- Davis DL. Theodore W. Adorno: Theoretician through negations.Theory and Society, 2:105-16, 1975.
- Davis DL. The history and sociology of the scientific study of acupuncture. Am J Chin Med 1975; 3(1): 5-26.
- Davis DL. The shadow scale: an unobtrusive measure of door-to-door interviewing. Sociol Rev 1976; 6: 143-50.
- Davis DL. When the neighbors get noisy, we bang on the walls: a critique of density and crowding. Am J Soc Behav Sci 1976.
- Davis DL. Multiple risk assessment: Preventive strategy for public health. Toxic Sub J 1979; 1(3): 205-25.
- Babich H, Davis DL, and Stotzky G. Acid Precipitation. Environ 1980; 22(4): 6-13.
- Davis DL, and Babich H. Food tolerances and action levels: Do they adequately protect children? Bioscience 1981; 31(6): 429-32, 435-38..
- Babich H, Davis DL, and Trauberman J. Environmental quality criteria: Some considerations. Environ Manage 1981; 6(23): 191-205..
- Davis DL. Cancer in the workplace: The case for prevention.Environ 1981; 23(6): 25-37. Reprinted in Congressional Record, October 20, 1981.
- Davis DL and Babich H. Phenol: a review of environmental and health risks. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 1981; 1:90-109.
- Davis DL, Babich H, and Stotzky G. Dibromochloropropane. Sci Total Environ 1981: 17: 207-21.
- Davis DL, Bridbord K, and Schneiderman M. Estimating cancer causes: Problems in methodology, production, and trends. Banbury Report 9: Quantification of Occupational Cancer 1981: 285-316.
- Davis DL, and Babich H. Updating federal standards for toxicants: N-hexane as the model. Environ Monit Assess 1982; 2: 287-99.
- Davis DL. Lead: Ancient metal, new concerns. The Environmental Forum 1982; 1(1): 24-6.
- Davis DL, Bridbord K, and Schneiderman M. Cancer prevention: Assessing causes, exposures and recent trends in incidence and mortality. Teratogenesis, Carcinogenesis, and Mutagenesis 1982; 2:105-135. Reprinted in Int J Health 1983; 13(3): 337-72.
- Davis DL, Ritts L, and Trauberman J. Addendum 2 -- Compensations for victims of toxic pollution -- Assessing the scientific knowledge base. National Science Foundation 1983. NTIS Pb 83212-308. 71 pp.
- Davis DL. The 'Shotgun Wedding' of science and law: Risk assessment and judicial review. Columbia Journal of Environmental Law 1985; 10(1): 67-109.
- Davis DL, Mandula B, and Van Ryzin J. Assessing the power and quality of epidemiologic studies of asbestos exposed populations. Toxicol Ind Health 1985; 1(4): 93-110.
- Davis DL, and Mandula B. Airborne asbestos and public health.Annu Rev Public Health 1985; 6: 195-221.
- Davis DL, Lilienfeld A, Gittelsohn A, and Scheckenbach ME.Increasing trends in some cancers in older Americans: Fact or artifact? Toxicol Ind Health 1986; 2(1): 127-44. Reprinted in Int J Health Serv 1988; 18(1): 35-68.
- Davis DL, and Pope A. Reproductive risks of benzene: Need for additional study. Toxicol Ind Health 1986; 2(4): 445-51.
- Davis DL, and Schwartz J. Trends in cancer mortality: US white males and females, 1968-1983. Lancet 1988; 1 (8586): 633-636.
- Davis DL. Changing policy roles of environmental epidemiology. (Ninth Symposium on Statistics and the Environment) Statistical Science 1989; 3(3): 281-285.
- Davis DL. Natural anticarcinogens, carcinogens, and changing patterns in cancer: Some speculation. Environ Res 1989; 50 (2): 322-39. Digested in Health and Environment Digest, November 1990.
- Davis DL. Court-ordered secrecy and public health. Lancet 1990; 336:168.
- Davis DL. Protecting women out of their jobs [Editorial]. Lancet1990; 336: 1289.
- Davis DL, Hoel D, Fox J, and Lopez A. International trends in cancer mortality in France, West Germany, Italy, Japan, England and Wales, and the U.S. Lancet 1990; 336: 474-81.
- Davis DL, Hoel D, Fox J, and Lopez A. International trends in cancer mortality in France, West Germany, Italy, Japan, England and Wales, and the U.S Expanded in Ann NY Acad Sci 1990; 609: 5-58.
- Davis DL, Hoel D, Percy C, Ahlbom A, and Schwartz J. Is brain cancer mortality increasing in industrial countries? Ann NY Acad Sci 1990; 336: 191-214.
- Nicholson WJ, and Davis DL. Analyses of changes in ratio of male to female cancer mortality: Hypothesis generating exercise. Ann NY Acad Sci 1990; 609:290-99.
- Axelson O, Davis DL, Forestiere L, Schneiderman M, and Wagener D. Non-smoking attributable lung cancer. Ann NY Acad Sci1990; 609:165-78.
- Davis DL, Ahlbom A, Hoel D, and Percy C. Is brain cancer mortality increasing in industrial countries? Am J Ind Med 1991; 19(4): 421-31.
- Hoel D, Davis DL, Miller AJ, Sondik EJ, and Swerdlow AJ.Trends in major sites of cancer in 15 industrial countries, 1969-1986,J Natl Cancer Inst 1992; 84: 313-21. Also in Health and Environment Digest 1992; 6:1-2. Reprinted in Environmental Health Monthly 1992; 4(12).
- Davis DL, and Hoel D. Figuring out cancer. Int J Health Serv 1992; 22(3): 447-453.
- Davis DL, Friedler G, Mattison D, and Morris D. Male mediated teratogenesis and other reproductive effects: Biologic and epidemiologic findings and a plea for clinical research. Reprod Toxicol 1992; 6: 289-92.
- Ben-Sasson M, and Davids DL. Medical hypothesis: Neonatal exposure to protoporphyrin activating lighting as a contributing cause of childhood acute lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer Causes and Control 1992; 3: 383-87.
- Davis DL, Blair A, and Hoel D. Agricultural exposures and cancer trends in developed countries. Environ Health Perspect 1993; 100: 39-44.
- Davis DL, Bradlow HL, Wolff MS, Woodruff T, Hoel G, and Anton-Culver H. Medical hypothesis: Xenoestrogens as preventable causes of breast cancer. Environ Health Perspect 1993; 101(5): 372-77. (Selected as an Example of Excellence in the Entire Field of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology in Quintessence, Excellence in Environmental Contamination and Toxicology).
- Woodruff T, Wolff MS, Davis DL, and Hayward D. Organochlorine exposure estimation in the study of cancer etiology.Environ Res 1994; 65(1): 132-44.
- Davis DL, Dinse GE, and Hoel DG. Decreasing cardiovascular disease and increasing cancer among whites in the United States from 1973 to 1987: Good news and bad news. J Am Med Assoc1994; 271(6):431-43. (Selected as an Example of Excellence in the Entire Field of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology inQuintessence, Excellence in Environmental Contamination and Toxicology).
- Silbergeld EK, and Davis DL. The role of biomarkers in identifying and understanding environmentally induced disease. Clin Chem 1994 40(7):1363-67.
- Davis DL, and Love SM. Mammographic screening. J Am Med Assoc 1994; 271(2):152-53.
- Bradlow HL, Davis DL, Gong l, Sepkovic DW, and Tiwari R. 1995. Effects of pesticides on the ratio of 16a/2-hydroxyestrone: A biologic marker of breast cancer. Environ Health Prospect 1995; 103(Suppl7):147-150.
- Davis DL, and Muir C. Estimating avoidable causes of cancer.Environ Health Perspect 1995; 103(Suppl8): 301-06.
- Zahm S, Fraumeni JF, and Davis DL, Eds. Avoidable cancer causes. Environ Health Prospect Suppl 1995; 103(Suppl 8): 326pp.
- Davis DL, and Bradlow HL. Can environmental estrogens cause breast cancer? Scientific American 1995; 273(4):166.
- Davis DL. Cancer research at the crossroads. Forum for Applied Research and Public Policy, Fall 1995.
- Working Group on Public Health and Fossil-Fuel Combustion (Davis DL). Short-term improvements in public health from global-climate policies on fossil-fuel combustion: an interim report.? Lancet1997; 350(9088): 1341-48. Presented to United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, Kyoto, 1997.
- Davis DL, Axelrod D, Osborne M, and Telang N. Environmental influences on breast cancer risk.? Science & Medicine 1997; 4(3): 56-63.
- Davis DL, Telang NT, Osborne MP, and Bradlow HL. ?Medical hypothesis: bifunctional genetic-hormonal pathways to breast cancer.Environ Health Perspect 1997; 105(Suppl 3): 571-76.
- Davis DL, and Ahmed AK. Exposures from indoor spraying of chlorpyrifos pose greater health risks to children than currently estimated. Environ Health Perspect 1998; 106(6): 299-301.
- Davis DL, Gottlieb MB, and Stampnitzky JR. ?Reduced ratio of male to female births in several industrial countries.? J Am Med Assoc1998; 279(13): 1018-23.
- Davis DL, Axelrod D, Osborne M, Telang N, Bradlow HL, and Sittner E. Avoidable causes of breast cancer: The known, unknown and suspected. Ann NY Acad Sci 1998; 833:112-28.
- Davis DL, Pongsiri M, and Wolff M. Recent developments on the avoidable causes of breast cancer. Ann NY Acad Sci 1998: 837: 513-23.
- Davis DL, Axelrod D, Bailey L, Gaynor M, and Sasco A.Rethinking breast cancer risk and the environment: The case for the precautionary principle. Environ Health Perspect 1998; 106(9): 523-29.
- Bradlow HL, Davis DL, Sepkovic DW, Tiwari R, and Osborne MP. Role of the estrogen receptor in the action of organochlorine pesticides on estrogen metabolism in human breast cancer cell lines.Sci Total Environ 1998; 202: 9-14.
- Wu C, Maurer C, Wang Y, Shouszheng X, and Davis DL. Water pollution and human health in China. Environ Health Perspect 1999; 107 (4): 251-56.
- Dinse GE, Umbach DM, Sasco AJ, Hoel DG, and Davis DL.Unexplained increases in cancer incidence in the U.S. from 1975-94.Ann Rev Public Health 1999; 20:173-209.
- Gray GM, Goldstein BD, Bailar J, Davis DL, Delzell E, Dost F, Greenberg RS, Hatch M, Hodgson E, Ibrahim MA, Lamb J, Lavy T, Mandel J, Monson R, Robson M, Shore R, and Graham JD. The federal government’s agricultural health study: A critical review with suggested improvements. Hum Ecol Risk Assess 2000; 6(1): 47-71.
- Bell ML, and Davis DL. Reassessment of the lethal London Fog of 1952: acute and chronic consequences of acute exposure to air pollution. Environ Health Perspect 2001; 109(Suppl 3): 389–94.
- Cifuentes L, Borja VL, Gouveia N, Thurston G, and Davis DL.Assessment of the urban air pollution benefits of global warming mitigation: Santiago, Sao Paulo; Mexico City and New York City.Environ Health Perspect 2001; 109(3): 419-25.
- Axelrod D, Hajek RA, Jones LA, and Davis DL. It's time to rethink dose: The case for combining cancer and birth and developmental defects. Environ Health Perspect 2001; 109(6): A246-49.
- Cifuentes L, Borja VL, Gouveia N, Thurston G, and Davis DL. Hidden health benefits of greenhouse gas mitigation. Science 2001; 293:1257-59.
- Kyle AD, Woodruff T, Buffler PA, and Davis DL. Use of an index to reflect the aggregate burden of long-term exposure to criteria air pollutants in the United States. Environ Health Perspect 2002; 110(Suppl 1): 95-102.
- Davis DL, and Webster PM. The social context of science: cancer and the environment. Annals Amer Acad Politic Soc Sci2002; 584:13-34.
- Davis DL, Bell M, and Fletcher T. A look back at the London Smog of 1952 and the half century since. Environ Health Perspect2002; 110(12):A734-5.
- Bell ML, Davis DL, Cifuentes L, Cohen A, Gouveia N, Grant L, Green C, Johnson T, Rogat J, Spengler J, and Thurston G. International expert workshop on the analysis of the economic and public health impacts of air pollution: workshop summary. Environ Health Perspect 2002; 110(11): 1163-8.
- Axelrod D, Burns K, Davis DL and van Larebeke N. Commentary: “Hormesis"--an inappropriate exploration from the specific to the universal. Int J Occ and Environ Health 2004; 10: 346-349.
- Davis DL, and Forrester, C. Past and Present Environmental Health Challenges in Southwestern Pennsylvania: Some Comments on the Right to a Clean Environment, Am J Law Med 2004; 30: 305-332.
- Bell M, Davis DL, and Fletcher T. A retrospective assessment of mortality from the London smog episode of 1952: the role of influenza and pollution. Environ Health Perspect 2004; 112(1):6-8.
- Thayer KA, Melnick R, Burns K, Davis DL, Huff J. Fundamental flaws of hormesis for public health decisions. Environ Health Perspect 2005; 113(10):1271-76.
- Van Larebeke NA, Birnbaum LS, Boogaerts MA, Bracke M,Davis DL, Demarini DM, Hooper K, Huff J, Kleinjans JC, Legator MS, Schoeters G, Vahakangas K. Unrecognized or potential risk factors for childhood cancer. Int J Occup Environ Health 2005; 11(2):199-201.
- Davis DL, Bell ML, Gouveia N, Borja-Aburto VH, and Cifuentesn LA. The avoidable health effects of air pollution in three Latin-American cities: Santiago, Sao Paulo, and Mexico City. Environ Res2006; 100(3): 431-40.
- Thayer Kristina, AMelnick Ronald, Huff James, Burns Kathy,Davis Devra Hormesis: a new religion? Environmental Health Perspectives, November 2006.
- Axelson O, Balbus JM, Cohen G, Davis DL, Donnay A, Doolittle R, Duran BM, Egilman D, Epstein SS, Goldman L, Grandjean P, Hansen ES, Heltne P, Huff J, Infante P, Jacobson MF, Joshi TK, LaDou J, Landrigan PJ, Lee PR, Lockwood AH, MacGregor G, Melnick R, Messing K, Needleman H, Ozonoff D, Ravanesi B, Richter ED, Sass J, Schubert D, Suzuki D, Teitelbaum D, Temple NJ, Terracini B, Thompson A, Tickner J, Tomatis L, Upton AC, Whyatt RM, Wigmore D, Wilson T, Wing SB, Sharpe VA, Re: Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health. 2003 Oct-Dec;9 (4):386-9; (author reply 389-90).
- Donovan MA, Miles T, Latimer JJ, Grant S, Talbott E, Sasco A, and Davis, DL. Association between biomarkers of environmental exposure and increased risk of breast cancer. Nature Reviews Cancer 2006; 6(8).
- Donovan MA, Tiwary C, Axelrod D, Sasco A,Jones L, Hajek R, Sauber E, Kuo J, and Davis DL. Personal care products that contain estrogens or xenoestrogens may increase breast cancer risk. Med Hypotheses 2007; 68(4): 756-66.
- Davis DL, Webster PM, Stainthorpe H, and Doi R. Trends in Sex ratio in Japan and the U.S. Environ Health Perspect. [Accepted February 23, 2007] [Online April 9, 2007].
- Davis DL, Tiwary C, Donovan MA, Axelrod D, and Sasco A. Redefining normal age of breast growth obscures potential environmental causes. Pediatrics 2007; 111(1).
- Davis DL, Donovan MA, Herberman R, Gaynor M, Axelrod D, van Larebeke N, and Sasco AJ. The Need to Develop Centers for Environmental Oncology. Biomed Pharmacother. 2007 Dec;61(10):614-22.
- Davis DL, Webster P, Stainthorpe H, Chilton J, Jones L, and Doi R. Declines in sex ratio at birth and fetal deaths in Japan, and in U.S. Whites but not African Americans. Environmental Health Perspectives 115 (2007): 941-946.
- Abdo KM, Camargo CA Jr, Davis DL, Egilman D, Epstein SS, Froines J, Hattis D, Hooper K, Huff J, Infante PF, Jacobson MF, Teitelbaum DT, Tickner JA. Letters to U.S. FDA commissioner. Questions about the safety of the artificial sweetener aspartame. Int J Occup Environ Health. 2007 Oct-Dec; 13(4): 449-50.
- Davis DL. Natural and other Experiments: the Secret History of the War on Cancer. European Journal of Oncology. Vol.13. no 2. 2008.
- Michelle L Bell, Devra L Davis, Luis A Cifuentes, Alan J Krupnick, Richard D Morgenstern and George D Thurston. Ancillary human health benefits of improved air quality resulting from climate change mitigation.Environmental Health 2008. 74,1.
- Huff J, Jacobson MF, Davis DL. The limits of 2-Year Bioassay Exposure Regimens for Identifying Chemical Carcinogens. EHP June 30, 2008,
- Davis D, Ganter L, Weinkle J. Aspartame and Incidence of Brain Malignancies. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008 17:1295-1296
- Han, YY; Weissfeld, JL; Davis, DL; Talbott, EO. Arsenic levels in ground water and cancer incidence in Idaho: A ecologic study.International Archives for Occupational and Environmental Health. 2008 (in press).
- Han, YY; Kano, H; Davis, DL; Niranjan, A; Lunsford, LD. Cell Phone Usage and Acoustic Neuroma: The Need for Standardized Questionnaires and Access to Industry Data. Surgical Neurology (in press).
- Kubat D, and Davis DL. An Essay on Malthus. Carnegie Magazine 1966 Feb: 57-60.
- Davis DL. Is Marxism Ignored? American Sociologist 1974 Aug: 157-58.
- Davis DL. Acupuncture. J Am Med Assoc 1974 Sep; 229:1421.
- Davis DL. Review of The Inevitability of Patriarchy. Dissent 1975 (Spring).
- Davis DL. Reply to Goldberg. Dissent 1975 (Summer): 301-3.
- Davis DL. Letter on the Sociology of Science. Science 1975 (April); 188: 309-11.
- Davis DL. 1975. Reviews of ?Towards the Sociology of Knowledge. Contemporary Sociology 1976; 5(1): 71-74.
- Davis DL. 1975 January. Universitatsverlage: Kampf Um Uberleben. Boersenblatt Des Deutschen Buchhandels, Frankfurt: Boersen Verein Des Deutschen Buchhandels 1975; 21(6): 111-16.
- Davis DL. Review of From Karl Mannheim. Sociological Review 1976; 24(2): 373-75.
- Davis DL. Fiber, Diet, and Health. Pamphlet Prepared for Thompson Medical Company. 1976.
- Davis DL. Review of Naturzustand Und Naturgeschichte Der Burgerlichen Gesellschaft. American Political Science Review 1977; 71(1): 326-7.
- Davis DL. Incentives for Health. Washington, D.C.: World Man Fund Pamphlet. 1977.
- Davis DL. Review of Health Effects of Environmental Pollutants.Environment International. 1979.
- Davis DL. Summary of Conference. Proceedings of the Conference on Environmental Law, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia. 1979.
- Davis DL. Science and Regulatory Policy, Science 1979; 203(4375): 7.
- Davis DL and Magee BH. Cancer and Industrial Chemical Production. Science 1979; 206 (4425): 1356,1358.
- Davis DL. Workplace Cancer: The Case Against Complacency.Health and Safety and Work 1983; 5(8):19-21.
- Pope A, Paulson E, and Davis DL. Data Documentation Indicators in Toxicity Testing Reports. Summary Proceedings and Recommendations from the Chemical Manufacturers Association Workshop on Data Documentation Quality Indicators, Washington, D.C 1984.
- Davis DL. [Letter] Occupational Exposure to 1,3-butadiene.Lancet 1987; 1(8528): 326.
- Davis DL. Assessing Effects of Air Pollution. Proceedings of The Pacific Environment Conference, Nagoya, Aichi Perfecture, Japan 1987.
- Davis DL. December. [Letter] Paleolithic Diet, Evolution, and Carcinogens. Science 1987; 238(4834): 1633-4.
- Schneiderman MA, Davis DL, and Wagener DK. Non-smoking Attributable Lung Cancer. J Am Med Assoc 1989; 261: 2635-36. [Correction in J Am Med Assoc 1989; 262:904].
- Davis DL. 1989. Review of The Recurring Silent Spring. Reprod Toxicol 1991; 5: 273-76.
- Davis DL, Hoel D, Fox J, and Lopez A. [Letter] Trends in CancerLancet 1990; 336: 1264-65.
- Davis DL and Hoel D. Trends in cancer mortality in industrial countries. Introduction. Ann NY Acad Sci 1990; 609: ix-xi.
- Davis DL. 1990. Natural Anticarcinogens: Can Diet Protect Against Cancer? Health and Environment Digest 1990; 4(1):1-4.
- Davis DL. Mother, Naturally, Was Right. Los Angeles Times. February 3, 1990.
- Davis DL. Times Pooh-poohs Real Cancer Increases [Letter in Reply to Washington Times Editorial on My Lancet Research]. The Washington Times. Septermber 4, 1990.
- Davis DL. 1990 Septe